Wednesday, August 15, 2007

New to me

About twenty years ago I attended a Jimmy Rowles Christmas gig at Catalina's here in L.A. He sang a Ray Noble song that was new to me then, but which I have never forgotten, "Why Stars Come Out at Night." Originally, it was recorded in 1935 by Noble with the great British vocalist Al Bowlly, who died a few years later during a London blitz. But I digress. "Stars" was a song I've never been able to get out of my head after hearing it only once. Ever since then I've been on the lookout for one of the few recordings of the song, either Bowlly's or, perhaps, pianist Rowles' (I believe he made one in one of his all-too-few vocal outings on records). But it wasn't until the other day that I happened upon one, on the net. I secured the CD that it came from, by U.S. expat to Oz, John Harkins. Happily, the song is every bit as wonderful as I recalled its being; but, doubly nice, is the discovery of terrific new singer-pianist Harkins. Take a listen to his version of the long sought-after "Why Stars Come Out At Night." And if it knocks you out as much as it did me, make a visit to his website, where his debut CD is for sale. In the immortal words of Borat Sagdiyev, "Wo Wo We Wa!"

No comments: