Monday, November 24, 2008

Ronnie Deauville Society (of sorts)















__________

In a recent post, I suggested that, perhaps, fans of singer Ronnie Deauville (1925-1990) could assemble a not-for-profit CD of uncollected, out-of-print RD tracks. After giving this some thought, it seems to me that Deuville mp3s could be sent to this blog for anyone to download and burn to a CD (or whatever) at their own discretion. Here are my first six contributions; all future additions by myself and others can be added to this particular page. Send all Deauville mp3 tracks to drchilledair@yahoo.com .

"Be My Love" (w/ Ray Anthony)

"Day In Day Out " and flip side:

"April Sings"

note: "Day In, Day Out" appears to have been recorded in 1961. As such, it might have been Deauville's last recording. The flip, "April Sings," was co-written by multiple Oscar-winning songwriter Ned Washington.

"Young at Heart"

"Three Coins in the Fountain"









____________

"Laura"

"It Wasn't Much of a Town" re-upload of much cleaner copy, along with the flip side of "A Special Message From Jerry Lewis." Contributed by Busterooni of the blog, Big 10-inch Record









_________________

"As Children Do" b/w "I Concentrate on You"
(courtesy of Busterooni)

"Haji Baba (Persian Lament"
(contributed by Lee Hartsfeld)


"Comme Ci, Comme Ca" Hi-Tone Records 117-A

"Gloria" Signature single w/ Ray Anthony

"The Night is Young (and You's So Beautiful)" Capitol single w/ Ray Anthony

Opening segment of "This is Your Life: Ronnie Deauville"

Link to selected Ronnie Deauville discography

CHECK BACK FROM TIME-TO-TIME FOR PERIODIC UPDATES added 12/5/08 - "When April Sings"; 12/7/08 "Haji Baba (Persian Lament"; 12/12 - "As Children Do" b/w "I Concentrate on You"; 12/13 - "I Only have Eyes for You"





9 comments:

Buster said...

Fantastic. I will be happy to contribute my materials, which include many transcriptions. I have a mint copy of It Wasn't Much of a Town, so I will post that as well. In addition I will mention this on the Big 10-Inch Record. Ronnie lives!

Anonymous said...

Bill,
If it as all possible to stick with the idea of true CD quality transfers of vinyl, singles and 78's, that would be SO MUCH MORE preferable in sound quality to MP3s. MP3s are fine for an analogy to a newspaper compared to a fine book. So many people transfer MP3s at poor bitrates. Another example, my radio station prohibits broadcasts of MP3s and monitors the broadcasts (they are easy to detect)...I hope you reconsider. It's not as if we are trying to circulate 100 different CDs to hundreds of people..Ronnie's entire output might fit on two or three CDs (are there as many as four?). And are there more than a handful of us seeking these? It seems to me that Ronnie's legacy (so terribly overlooked)deserves to be first circulated in the best quality we can achieve from record sources. After the basic CDs are circulating, let people convert them to compressed sound MP3's for whatever purpose they wish.

After the holidays, I'll try to find my CD transfers of Smoke Dreams and the Liberty LP, and see if I can find some singles and get back in touch and mail them to you or however else you wish to proceed (except I can't convert to MP3).

Thank you for your efforts. I'll try to help when holiday commotion dies down (though that may not be until January)

Kevin

Bill Reed said...

My first thoughts about mp3s echoed yours re: the loss of FI due to compression. But then I wondered if, in fact, the source material i.e., vinyl burns would not necessarily cry out for the highest of fi. Please correct me if I'm off base in my thinking. Best, Bill

Buster said...

I can make my transfers available in any format - lossless or high bit-rate mp3. There is not much difference to me - the key is the best quality source material, careful transfers, proper equalization, and limited noise reduction that does not destroy the quality of the source.

I'll make a mint copy of It Wasn't Much of a Town available in lossless and high-quality mp3 and you can use that as reference, if you like.

Anonymous said...

An MP3 of a mono record, whether recorded in 1910, 1930, 1950, or 1960 is still an MP3 - compressed and not as good as a full frequency transfer to CD quality (or technically WAV files). You are probably aware that there is a wide range in quality of MP3's themselves, from very low bitrates(64, 128, 160= lowest sound quality) to high (256, 320 and up= higher quality). One problem is that many people convert to the worst sound quality MP3s. Now that most computers have large hard drives and use fast internet speeds, and now that blank CDs and even DVDs cost about 20 cents in spindles on sale, there seems to be no logic behind doing an archival project of a rare series of recordings to MP3. Ronnie's total out put might fit on 3 CDs (maybe 4-5?). That has a cost of about $1 in blank discs. Why create a permanent stream of lower quality transfers to save about 60 cents? The great master of vintage record transfers and preservation, John R.T. Davies, would be rolling over in his grave.

Anonymous said...

you were sent many more deauville recordings, none of which you posted links for here. why is that?

Bill Reed said...

Can you give me the name of the tracks and I will upload.

Anonymous said...

This is a link to a zip file containing the song Beyond the Sea sung by Ronnie Deauville recorded during an aircheck on a radio broadcast with Tex Beneke and the Glenn Miller Orchestra. It was long thought to be Frank Sinatra, who never recorded the song.

Why it was thought to be Frank, I don't know. Ronnie's voice and delivery was even more distinct than Franks.

http://files.me.com/willfriedwald/zb2u9t

Bill Reed said...

That's 'cause most folks don't have "ears." Used to, though.

Bill