Friday, April 08, 2011

Singers on the brain

I had the craziest dream last night. . .in which I was listening to the radio and Mel Torme was singing Rodgers and Hammerstein's "The Gentleman is a Dope." I could "hear" it right down to the Marty Paich arangements. But, heyyy! Wait a minute! What was Torme doing singing this irreversibly gender specific song, i.e. "why am I crying my eyes out, he'll never belong to me"? Just then the number ended and the dee-jay announced: "There's a track from the new album, Mel's Gone Gay."

A pluperfect example of what Freud called "a nonsense dream." For as Herr Dotor once observed, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

1 comment:

jeronimo said...

But then again there is that album from the 60s 'Love Is A Drag'...
Sang by Gene Williams (former bigband singer, featured on Tal Farlow's Fuerst Set album)...

Interesting listening experience!

j.