Sunday, May 17, 2009

Kurt Reichenbach at NYC's Metropolitan Room 5/15

Here's a nice review of my friend Kurt Reichenbach that appeared yesterday on the Yahoo list, Songbirds:

I know that I have been sounding like a bit of a shill lately, but when I see something that I dig, I feel that it is fair to share this feeling while there is still time for any interested parties to catch the performers who have impressed me. This was certainly the case with vocalist Kurt Reichenbach. He did a terrific set at the Metropolitan Room last evening with support from pianist Andy Ezrin, bassist Andy McKee and drummer Mark McLean. Also on hand for occasional contributions was Kurt's brother Bill, a superb trombonist. Kurt is a truly winning performer with a pleasant baritone, wonderful musicality, and a ready wit. His vocal timbre and phrasing, even his appearance, is somewhat reminiscent of Jack Jones, and he is more adventurous with his handling of lyrics. Last evening's program was:

With a Song in My Heart
I Only Have Eyes for You
The More I See You
L.A. Breakdown
Tomorrow (using special, humorous lyrics relating to food and diet)
I Remember You
All the Things You Are
Someone to Watch Over Me
I Can't Get Started
Forever Didn't Last Til Spring
My Heart Stood Still
Lush Life
Bittersweet
I Thought About You

Throughout the program, Kurt injected his warm and easy sense of humor.

He has one more set tonight at 9:45 p.m. If you can get there, you will surely enjoy Kurt Reichenbach.

Joe Lang

No comments: