Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Do I know you?

My friend and blogist extraordinaire, Jan Herman, emailed earlier today to call my attention to a little dustup that has happened as a result of something he wrote recently at artsjournal.com :

It seems that slightly-to-the-right-of-Atilla-the-Hun "Weekly Standard" columnist Stephen Schwartz's decidedly different ideological past has come back to haunt and bite him in the ass---thanks to Jan's excellent long term memory. One that extends back to his clerking days (circa '66) at San Francisco's legendary City Lights Bookstore.

You can read all about it at Gawker .

I suppose it could happen to anyone; just look at John Dos Pasos. And my---al caps---EX-FRIEND, Lawrence Jarvik. One minute he was a self-described Trotskyist making documentaries about subjects like the failure of American Jewry to come to the aid of their brethren living in Nazi Germany. The next, he was a pod-like, right wing scourge of NPR and PBS, and most other things that even remotely smacked of garden variety liberalism. Without even any noticeable transitional stops in between. I tell you. . .it gave me whiplash. I suppose the moral is Be ever Vigilant. Be vewwwy vewwwy Vigilant!

My web site

No comments: