Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Chris Connor's Birthday

Today is the birthday of jazz singer Chris Connor. As a teenager in the 1950s, I was more inspired by Connor than any other artist (extra-categorically) that I was aware of at the time. Hers was the first MODERN cutting edge art that I was ever exposed to. . . . .and liked A WHOLE LOT! Influenced my tastes in literature, art, dance, you name it. Encouraged me to expand horizons, investigations, etc. Now she is inarguably enshrined in the Pantheon of All-Time Great Jazz Singers. But this was not always the case. It has taken years for the rest of the world to catch up to just how unique a performer she was. But I "got it" right off the bat while I was prrrrractically protoplasm in Buster Brown Shoes.

Happy birthday, Chris Connor!

In honor of the occasion, here's a post on this blog from early this year.

No comments: