Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Meeting with a remarkable man

In 1988 I began to work on a documentary about veteran jazz trumpeter Demas Dean. Alas, I didn't get very far beyond a couple of hours of raw interview footage, some of which dealt with his experiences recording with Empress of the Blues, Bessie Smith. Here is the first public showing of this material retrieved from my vast and ever-expanding Archive of Abandoned and Failed Projects (AAFP).


I'll be reading from my chapter on Demas---and others from my book, Hot from Harlem---on March 10th at L.A.s Book Soup .
                                   ____________________

Jane Harvey Sings Sondheim
now available at CDBaby
"A wonderful album---jazzy and theatrical in just the right proportions."
--- Terry Teachout, author of the 2010 biography,
Pops: A Life of Louis Armstrong 

No comments: