Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Just plain "The Group"

1. It Don't Mean a Thing (If it Ain't Got that Swing)
2. But Beautiful
3. Joey, Joey, Joey
4. Something's Coming
5. Nina Never Knew
6. I Hear Music
7. Get Me to the Church on Time
8. The Second Time Around
9. I Won't Cry Anymore
10. Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
11. Ev'rytime We Say Goodbye
12. Fugue for Tin Horns
13. Lulu's Back in Town (bonus track from The New Group)

This longgggg-out-of-print 1963 vinyl album and one other by a group known as, um, The Group (and, later on, as The New Group) was given to me by my late friend (and singer) Zanee Hall. Just about all I know about the singers is that one of the. . .Group was Tom Kampman, who shows up on the net as a former (the other) Ray Charles Singer(s) who still keep in touch with one another and, occasially hold reunions, according to this 2006 story in the Orange County Register. The other two members of the. . .Group are Larry Benson and Anne Gable, both presumably New York session singers from that era. Orch. arranged and conducted by Don Sebesky (track 13 by O.B. Masingill). No processing was used in my CD transfer, so you will hear the occasional snap, crackle and pop (which only makes it sound better as far as I am concerned).

Available for download for the next 48 hours only.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so now I have to dig out this LP and digitize it for myself. I've put it off for too long!